About and Process
FM 669 [FM = FARM TO MARKET ROAD].
ALL OF OUR ORGANIC COTTON IS GROWN, SPUN AND KNITTED IN THE USA. EACH GARMENT IS SEWN IN THE NEW YORK CITY GARMENT DISTRICT.
COTTON FABRIC & PROCESS
We use 100% USA grown organic cotton fabric. Our organic cotton comes from a collective of farms in Texas that are certified organic under the United States Department of Agriculture National Organic Program (USDA-NOP) and are also Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified. These farms practice regenerative practices that are possible in their climate/location such as cover crops and rotation crops.
75% of the organic farms that we source from are completely rain fed and do not use irrigation. Some of the farms supplement with minimal irrigation. The cotton yields are very rainfall dependent. Despite its reputation, cotton is not a water-intensive crop. It has been bred to be drought tolerant, and often rely solely on rainfall. Most of the United States – about 60% of U.S. cotton is produced without irrigation. Most irrigation used for the remaining 40% simply supplements crop needs. Only 4% of the U.S. cotton harvested acres in 2008 required irrigation to grow (USDA, 2010). (ref https://cottonleads.org/sustainable-production/water-stewardship-united-states/)
White is achieved through the use of hydrogen peroxide (non toxic). Black/Colour is achieved using low impact, fiber reactive dyes. This means no heavy metals or toxic substances. All finishing/dyeing occurs in a closed loop system where the water is constantly recycled. Wastewater is treated at the plant to ensure nothing environmentally harmful remains in the effluent. We endeavour to use natural dyes for any future colour additions.
We produce small runs of styles so no garments go to waste.
All our garments are manufactured in the USA, which helps support American jobs and the values reflected in domestic manufacturing, and which also reduces the environmental costs of transportation in comparison with imported products.
Our products come in compostable packaging, (25% post consumer) recycled and recyclable mailers. Mailers are constructed using recovered trash and are 100% recyclable. The bags are certified home compostable. Currently international orders come in a DHL bag.
CARBON NEUTRAL SHIPPING
We use the 'Planet' app. Every time FM 669 ships an order, you will support some of the most promising climate solutions on Earth (like Running tide). Each project has been vetted by the Shopify Sustainability Fund.
The Planet app combines data from our store with industry data and peer-reviewed models to estimate how much CO2 our shipments release into the environment. Because the Planet app makes sure that CO2 shipping emissions are removed entirely, all values that are used in the data models are rounded up.
We believe that carbon neutral efforts should work alongside taking actions to reduce our carbon footprint. It is a current solution to compensate for shipping emissions that we currently are unable to avoid.
We intend our garments to be well worn and repaired if necessary. You can compost your cotton garment at the end of its life.